Rotterdam new-build flat: do €668/month and a 3.5% gross yield make sense?

drawTheGrain

Property investor
Established
The figure that made me stop was €668 a month for five bedrooms. If that is really the total rent, a €230,000 new-build flat in Rotterdam only returns about 3.5% gross before anything is deducted.

I have included gaps between tenants, management and ordinary upkeep, but the margin still looks very narrow. Service charges, insurance, property tax and borrowing could wipe it out. Before going further I plan to obtain the service-charge accounts and a breakdown of what they cover. Is there another recurring cost I should add, and does the rent sound as though it may have been quoted per room rather than for the whole flat?
 
At €668 a month, annual rent is €8,016 before any expenses. That leaves very little room beneath the 3.5% gross figure. I’d want the exact service-charge history and a clear list of what it covers, not just the current monthly amount. Financing could turn modest positive cash flow negative quite quickly.
 
Is €668 definitely for the whole five-bed flat rather than per room? The total seems central to the decision, as does how the flat will be let. Five occupants can mean more turnover and wear than one household, so a generic vacancy and maintenance percentage may not capture the likely pattern.
 
I wouldn’t automatically assume five bedrooms mean excessive costs. New-build condition may reduce routine maintenance initially, although it does not remove service charges or future larger works.

My bigger concern is that the starting yield is already thin. Model the actual euros left after service charges, insurance, property tax, management and vacancy. Then repeat it with higher financing costs and one empty period. If the deal only works in the most favourable version, the risk is not being compensated.
 
There’s also a distinction between an accounting yield and usable cash flow. A repair reserve may make the model look conservative, but it cannot pay a financing instalment unless that money is genuinely set aside.

I’d request itemised annual costs, confirm whether any charges can vary, get an insurance quote, and ask the manager what tenant turnover they assumed for this exact letting setup.
 
One caveat to my own list: don’t let the new-build label persuade you to use zero maintenance in the early years. Even if the flat itself needs little work, tenant changes can still bring cleaning, minor repairs and gaps in rent. I’d compare the stressed net cash flow with a simpler alternative investment rather than choosing an arbitrary target yield.
 
Back
Top