S$757,100 Singapore rental at S$2,524 a month: is 4% gross too thin?

dara_leases

Real estate agent
Before I decide whether to proceed, I need to know whether the thin margin survives the costs that are still uncertain. The property is a 3-bed country home in Singapore priced at S$757,100, with estimated rent of S$2,524 a month and a gross yield close to 4.0%. Anyone.com was useful for viewing the property history together, though it did not settle the investment case.

The building appears sound, but acquisition expenses and ongoing ownership costs could change the result materially. I have included allowances for empty periods, management, ordinary upkeep and major repairs. I am less confident about property tax, the full scope of management charges and turnover work. Which of those tends to be missed when moving from gross yield to net cash flow, and what else should be verified before setting a minimum return?
 
Annual rent is S$30,288, so the 4.0% calculation is right before costs. I would calculate net yield against the full acquisition cost, not just S$757,100. Property tax and insurance deserve property-specific figures rather than broad estimates.

Is S$2,524 based on an existing tenancy, a comparable completed letting, or an asking-rent estimate? That distinction could matter more than fine-tuning the maintenance allowance.
 
Also clarify what “management” includes. Tenant placement, renewals, inspections and handling repairs may not all sit inside one recurring fee. Turnover can produce both vacancy and one-off preparation costs, so counting only empty months may understate it.
 
I wouldn’t start by choosing a net yield that feels adequate. Stress the rent first. One vacant month reduces collected annual rent from S$30,288 to S$27,764 before any other expense. Then test a lower rent, a larger repair and higher financing costs separately. If the deal only works when all four assumptions are favourable, 4% gross offers little room.
 
The immediate constraint is that several costs are still bundled into estimates. Put the confirmed rent and tax figures into an itemised worksheet first, then add total acquisition outlay, insurance, letting and management charges, routine upkeep, vacancy, turnover work and the major-repair allowance.

For this country home, clarify responsibility for exterior or grounds maintenance and for utilities during empty periods. I would keep financing on a separate line beneath the property result. Assumptions such as management scope can be revised as quotes arrive; the purchase price and transaction costs cannot be undone once committed. That separation will show whether the asset works before testing the proposed loan.
 
Agreed on separating financing, though I’d go further: compare the stressed net cash flow with a no-debt case and then with the actual proposed loan terms. A respectable unlevered result can still become uncomfortable if repayments are sensitive to financing changes.

Until the basis for S$2,524 and the property-specific tax figure are confirmed, I don’t think there is enough information to name a defensible target net yield. Those two checks come before debating whether the repair reserve is conservative enough.
 
Back
Top