San Francisco first-time buyer: is a $32,000 post-closing buffer enough?

direct_map

Homeowner
Established
If I allocate the cash badly, I could complete the purchase and then struggle with the first mortgage payment or an urgent repair. The San Francisco apartment is a three-bedroom priced around $200,000, and I expect to retain about $32,000 after the deposit and estimated closing costs.

I am trying to decide how much should remain as a household emergency fund and how much can cover moving, immediate inspection items, furniture and other first-year costs. Safety issues or work needed to prevent further damage would come first; furnishing every room can wait. How would you set the purchase ceiling so that the remaining buffer is not doing too many jobs at once?
 
Start by separating a true household emergency fund from the property budget. Then reserve cash for moving, the first mortgage payment, the insurance deductible and any service charges due soon after closing. Only inspection items that affect safety or prevent further damage should compete for the immediate-repair pot. Furniture can be bought room by room; a 3-bed does not need to be fully furnished on day one.
 
The $32,000 is the number driving the choice, because I had been viewing it as a single reserve rather than several separate pots. Your approach makes me think I should first protect essential living expenses, the first mortgage payment and known moving costs.

Would you then create a distinct allowance for urgent inspection findings before deciding my maximum purchase price? Smaller cosmetic jobs and furniture are reversible, so I am comfortable delaying those. I am less sure whether the household emergency fund should ever cover necessary apartment work, particularly if several modest repairs appear together.
 
I wouldn’t make the emergency fund untouchable in an absolute sense, but I also wouldn’t use it for cosmetic inspection findings. The bigger missing facts are your monthly essential spending and the apartment’s ongoing service charges. With an apartment, possible building-level costs can matter as much as work inside the unit. A reassuring unit inspection does not by itself mean the first year will be cheap.
 
Work backward rather than splitting the $32,000 evenly. First reserve enough for your chosen number of months of essential expenses. Next list the first mortgage payment, moving costs, insurance deductible and near-term service charges. Create a separate pot for urgent inspection findings, then leave a smaller amount for unexpected first-year work. Whatever remains is the furniture budget. If that leaves too little for necessary repairs, lower the purchase ceiling rather than borrowing from the emergency fund before you have even moved in.
 
Back
Top