Sanity check: rent increase versus retaining a good student tenant in Utrecht

yard.steady

Homeowner
Established
I want a consistent rent-review process rather than deciding case by case. This is student housing in Utrecht: comparable asking rent appears to be around €537, while the current tenant pays about €479. Payment has been reliable and the home is well looked after.

Would you leave the rent alone or make a modest adjustment? I do not want a theoretical €58 monthly gain to be swallowed by vacancy, refurbishment and deposit handling if the tenant leaves. I also want any review to follow the applicable local notice and rent rules without damaging the relationship.
 
I would favour retention unless the current rent is creating a real problem. The full difference is €58 a month, or €696 over a year. Even one vacant month at the present rent would consume more than eight months of that extra income, before cleaning, repairs or reletting effort. First establish the maximum lawful adjustment, then consider proposing less than that with clear notice and a calm explanation.
 
One missing fact: is the €537 figure for genuinely comparable accommodation—same type of student unit, condition, furnishing and location—or just nearby advertisements? Asking rent is not the same as achieved or permitted rent. The tenancy type and contract terms also matter, so I would not choose a number until those details and the current notice requirements have been checked.
 
I disagree slightly with using €537 as the anchor at all. A reliable tenant who maintains the place has value that does not appear in an advertisement. Start with the property’s costs, maintenance history and the rules applying to this tenancy. If those support an increase, make a defensible adjustment; do not raise it merely because another landlord is asking more.
 
That is fair, but keeping a good tenant does not necessarily mean freezing the rent indefinitely. A small, predictable increase may preserve the relationship better than waiting and later seeking a large jump. I would write down the process: confirm what is allowed, compare like with like, estimate realistic vacancy and turnover costs, choose the amount, give the required notice, and invite the tenant to discuss it.
 
Also separate the rent decision from the deposit. If turnover happens, handle the deposit under the applicable tenancy terms and rules rather than treating it as a refurbishment fund. For this case, the figures point toward either no increase or a modest one below the €58 gap. A short written explanation acknowledging the tenant’s payment reliability and care of the home would make the reasoning easier to understand.
 
Back
Top