Santiago country homes: are service charges affecting offers?

yuki_north

Property investor
Established
Relying on live listings risks measuring optimistic sellers, while using only completed deals could miss what buyers are rejecting now. Neither feels adequate for the Santiago country-home market without also tracking withdrawals and price cuts.

The current sample covers asking prices from CLP 473,800,000 to CLP 710,600,000, centred around CLP 592,200,000. It indicates movement of roughly 4.5% and a median marketing period near 63 days. Condition appears to divide the results: renovated homes move sooner, while properties requiring work tend to remain available and reduce their prices.

I may be giving service charges too much explanatory weight. To test that, I’m planning to separate homes by condition, narrow the locations, note seller reductions and record withdrawn stock. Examples from recent completed sales would help show whether buyers discount offers for recurring charges or simply walk away.
 
I’d separate the charge from the negotiation. If it is a recurring cost attached to the property, the seller may have little ability to change it, but buyers can still reduce an offer to reflect the total ownership cost. Were the charges consistently disclosed in your sample, and did you compare like-for-like neighbourhood boundaries?
 
That is the weakness in my sample: disclosure was not consistent enough to compare the amounts cleanly. I also suspect I grouped together locations that buyers may see as distinct markets. I’ll narrow the boundaries and track whether the first price cut follows a period of missing interest or a failed negotiation.
 
I’m not convinced service charges explain much of the 63-day median without financing and seller motivation. A renovated home with realistic pricing may attract buyers who tolerate a higher recurring cost; an unrenovated one can sit because the purchase price leaves no room for the work. Completed sales matter more than asking-price movement here, and withdrawn listings should not automatically be treated as evidence of weak demand.
 
A practical next pass would be three groups: renovated sales, properties needing work, and withdrawals. For each, record initial ask, first-cut timing, known service charge, financing status if stated, and final price where available. That should show whether buyers are discounting recurring costs or whether condition is doing most of the work. Until then, I would present the 4.5% movement as a snapshot rather than a broad Santiago conclusion.
 
Back
Top