Santiago country homes: what matters after 108 days?

full_story

First-time buyer
Established
A first pass through the listings has left me with a narrower question: choose between two Santiago neighbourhoods now, or wait for better country-home stock?

The small sample runs from CLP 1,000,000,000 to CLP 1,500,000,000. Marketing time is around 108 days and asking prices have moved by roughly 4.0% downward, but differences in condition make those figures difficult to interpret. I also do not have enough recent completed sales to know whether sellers are cutting early or simply testing the market.

Insurance may be the dividing line. If a buyer can price the extra premium or necessary work and still obtain financing, does it usually become grounds for a lower offer? If the insurer or lender cannot give a clear path forward, is walking away the more realistic response?
 
One clarification after going back through the sample: I cannot tell whether the 108-day listings are genuinely available or include stale stock that will eventually be withdrawn. I also lack recent completed-sale prices. What buyer feedback would distinguish an insurance issue that supports a lower offer from one that makes the property effectively unacceptable, especially where financing is involved?
 
I would not infer much from 108 days and a -4.0% asking change alone. A motivated seller may cut early, while another may sit unchanged and later withdraw. Insurance becomes negotiable only if the buyer can quantify the extra cost or required work; uncertainty itself is more likely to make them move on. Can you separate completed sales by neighbourhood and condition, even if that leaves a very small sample?
 
Completed sales would help, but I would not make them the sole test. They are backward-looking, while new-listing volume and withdrawn stock show what alternatives buyers currently have. If comparable homes are scarce, some buyers may investigate the insurance concern and negotiate. If several substitutes exist, walking away is easier. Also separate cosmetic condition from anything that could affect insurance or buyer financing; combining them may be what is making your average so noisy.
 
I agree on separating condition, although I would still start with completed sales before interpreting withdrawn listings; a withdrawal does not reveal the seller’s reservation price. Build two neighbourhood-level lists: recent completions and current listings, then mark initial price, first cut date, days marketed, condition, and whether the insurance concern is specific or merely suspected. Ask for an insurance indication before treating it as bargaining evidence. That should show whether -4.0% reflects negotiation, seller motivation, or just relisting noise.
 
Back
Top