São Paulo country home at R$5,124,000 and R$20,450 rent — do the numbers work?

RightView

Landlord
I have to choose shortly whether to fund the next round of checks. The São Paulo two-bedroom country home costs R$5,124,000 and has projected rent of R$20,450 a month, giving only about 4.8% gross. That leaves little protection if the rent proves optimistic or the property sits empty for longer than expected.

The house appears sound, but the insurance cost is not yet firm. My working figures include management, routine maintenance, vacancy and a repair reserve, while financing terms could make the cash flow much more sensitive. The hardest mistake to undo would be buying on a thin yield and then discovering that the tenant pool is narrower than assumed.

My next step is to verify the property tax, insurance, any shared-estate charges and evidence supporting the projected rent. I will then run a downside case with a longer vacancy, higher maintenance and financing costs. Is there another recurring ownership expense that should be added before judging the net return?
 
The annual rent is R$245,400, so the gross-yield calculation is about right. I would pin down property tax, insurance and any shared-estate or condominium charges before discussing an acceptable net yield. Also clarify which costs are contractually paid by the tenant rather than assuming they disappear. Is R$20,450 supported by comparable signed rents, or is it an asking-rent estimate?
 
I’d be more concerned about turnover than one missing line item. A country home may have a narrower tenant pool, and one long vacancy plus reletting costs can overwhelm small savings elsewhere. Is this São Paulo city or the wider state, and are you modelling a normal long-term tenancy?

At only 4.8% gross, I wouldn’t choose a net-yield target until running a downside case with lower rent, longer vacancy, higher insurance and any financing costs. If that case produces weak or negative cash flow, the deal is too dependent on everything going right.
 
Back
Top