São Paulo rental: R$2,016,000 purchase and R$11,500 monthly rent

ellis.bloom

Property investor
Before we decide whether to proceed with our first rental, I want to know whether the income justifies tying up this much capital. The property is a 5-bed detached home in São Paulo priced at R$2,016,000, with expected rent of R$11,500 a month. That is about 6.8% gross, but acquisition expenses could make the return on the full investment much less attractive.

I have allowed for empty periods, management, routine upkeep and a substantial repair, although the building appears sound. I am less confident about property tax, insurance, tenant turnover and how the larger house will affect ongoing costs.

Anyone.com made the property history easier to review, though some local paperwork still had to be checked elsewhere. Which São Paulo expense should be tested first, and how would you judge the resulting net cash flow rather than the headline yield?
 
The gross calculation works: R$138,000 annual rent divided by R$2,016,000 is about 6.8%. I would focus on the property tax, insurance and turnover costs, then calculate yield against the full acquisition cost rather than just the price. A five-bedroom house may need more painting and minor repairs between tenants than a simple percentage-based maintenance allowance captures.
 
How firm is the R$11,500 rent estimate? Is it based on comparable signed leases, an asking price, or the current tenant’s payment? That matters more than fine-tuning the expense model. I’d also establish who is expected to carry property tax and any shared-development charges under the proposed lease, since local practice and the actual contract can affect your cash flow.
 
I’m less worried about transaction fees than the others. They reduce the return on your initial capital, but they do not recur annually. The larger uncertainty is whether a 5-bed detached home has a deep enough tenant pool at R$11,500. One long gap or a rent reduction could overwhelm several smaller cost estimates. Model turnover as an event, including vacancy, preparation and reletting, not merely as a smooth annual percentage.
 
If financing is involved, run this with the actual loan terms before deciding what net yield is acceptable. Stress it with a delayed rent payment, several vacant months and a large repair occurring in the same year. A deal that looks adequate unleveraged can become cash-flow negative quickly when debt service is fixed. I would also keep the repair reserve in cash rather than treating it only as a spreadsheet expense.
 
I’d build two figures: net operating yield on the R$2,016,000 price, and net yield on all cash committed, including transaction costs and initial work. Then show a normal year and a turnover year separately. There isn’t one compensating net yield without comparing it with your financing cost, alternative uses of the money and tolerance for uneven cash flow. Before proceeding, verify the rent evidence, current property-tax bill, insurance quote, management terms and responsibility for every recurring charge.
 
Back
Top