São Paulo seller comparing asking prices with completed sales

AbleBridge

Seller
Established
Hello from São Paulo. I’m a seller spending most of my property research time on retail units, transaction costs, and the gap between advertised prices and completed prices.

I joined to compare methods across markets rather than stay inside one local bubble. For anyone following Brazil, where should a newcomer begin: the local board, a market-data discussion, or a particular type of dataset? I’m especially interested in how people decide whether two asking and completed prices are genuinely comparable.
 
Welcome. I’d start on the local board and ask specifically how members verify completed prices. An asking-price series is easy to interpret too confidently when listings are withdrawn, revised, or repeated.

For comparisons, record the date, exact property type, location, condition, occupancy status and where each figure came from. That will be more useful than one broad average.
 
One missing detail: are you evaluating a particular retail unit for sale now, or learning the segment before making decisions? The useful reading will differ. A current seller may need transaction-cost and legal-checklist discussions first; general market research can begin with data quality and investment modelling.
 
That distinction helps. I’m approaching this as a seller, but I don’t want to post identifying unit details. My first task is to build a defensible comparison set rather than collect attractive headline numbers. I’ll start locally and note whether each figure is an asking price, a revision or a completed transaction. I’d also like to understand how people account for renovation and occupancy when the units are otherwise similar.
 
You want a defensible renovation adjustment, but reducing every difference to one added-value figure may make the comparison less reliable. Similar spending can produce very different results depending on layout, condition and whether the work suits the next occupant.

I would compare the units physically first, including occupancy and renovation quality, and only then add a separate range for likely costs. If the evidence is weak, leave the adjustment as a range rather than forcing a precise number. That gives you a staged comparison and makes it clear whether disagreement is about the properties themselves or the financial assumptions.
 
Also separate seller costs from the headline price comparison. Build a simple worksheet with advertised price, any known changes, completed price, timing, transaction costs and net proceeds. Leave an entry blank rather than estimate it without support. For Brazil-specific legal or tax items, use the forum discussion to identify questions, then confirm them locally because details can depend on the transaction.
 
I partly disagree that completed sales should always be the centre of the model. They are essential, but older transactions can become poor comparables if timing, financing conditions or the unit’s occupancy differ. Current competing listings still tell you what buyers will see. I’d use both sets, clearly labelled, and avoid forcing them into one average.
 
A practical reading order would be: local board, market-data discussions, transaction costs and legal checklists, then renovation and property-management threads. Investment modelling and mortgage comparisons are useful later for testing how a potential buyer might view the unit, but they cannot repair weak comparable data. Your plan to document the status and provenance of every price is the right starting habit.
 
Back
Top