Scope update: who negotiates a S$1.849m Singapore retail deal?

I’m comparing conveyancing services for a Singapore retail unit around S$1,849,000, and the scopes are surprisingly difficult to compare. The decision is whether a fuller service is worth paying for, or whether a basic introduction and document service is enough.

I want to know who stays accountable from offer through closing, what response time they commit to, and whether the fee clearly separates professional work, taxes and third-party costs. Should negotiation, lender coordination and document chasing be included? What Singapore-specific due diligence should appear in writing rather than being assumed?
 
I would not choose by the label. Ask each firm for a written scope tied to that transaction: named person responsible, title and contract work, deadline tracking, lender coordination if needed, completion steps, and exclusions.

For the retail unit, ask whether the quote covers questions about permitted use, existing tenancy, GST treatment, stamp duty, and management corporation matters if it is strata-titled. They should also distinguish fixed fees from disbursements and extra work. For response times, a promised acknowledgement plus an escalation contact is more useful than “prompt service.”
 
That is the distinction I was missing. I was treating negotiation as evidence of a better service, when accountability and deadline handling may matter more. I’ll ask for the scope in a side-by-side format, including who answers if the main contact is unavailable and which events trigger extra fees.
 
At S$1,849,000, an unclear division of responsibility matters more than whether the service is described as comprehensive. I understand why negotiation sounds like a sign of better support, but it may sit with the buyer or agent while the lawyer records the agreed terms and identifies their legal effect.

I would ask each provider to name exactly what it will negotiate: the price, tenancy points, offer conditions or changes to the sale contract. If that answer stays vague, compare the conveyancing work without giving the package extra credit for negotiation. The written scope should also identify who maintains the document record and who flags option, finance and completion dates.
 
One practical fallback: request a blank or redacted transaction checklist and a sample fee breakdown. Those are better evidence of the working process than a polished demo. If responsibilities remain vague, keep your own dated list of documents, decisions and deadlines, with one named person required to confirm each handoff.
 
Back
Top