Seattle 3-bed at $170,000 and $1,188 rent: what am I missing?

ReadyThread

Developer
The projected rent makes this look attractive at first, but I am not convinced the spread survives ordinary ownership costs. This is a three-bedroom coastal home in Seattle priced at $170,000, with estimated rent of $1,188 per month. That is roughly an 8.4% gross yield before expenses.

Once vacancy, management fees, ongoing upkeep and a major-repair reserve are applied, net cash flow looks much less comfortable. A tenant change or extended empty period could erase it, even if the building is currently sound.

Which missing figure would most change your view: an address-specific insurance quote, the actual property tax, turnover charges or details of the coastal exterior? I am also interested in how others would set a minimum net yield for this level of uncertainty.
 
Before choosing a target net yield, I’d want the actual property-tax figure and an insurance quote for this specific address, not broad Seattle estimates. At $1,188, annual gross rent is only $14,256, so even modest errors matter. Also clarify whether management charges anything extra during tenant turnover and whether your repair reserve covers exterior wear associated with the coastal setting.
 
I’d focus less on one “Seattle cost” and more on financing sensitivity. Is this a cash purchase, and if not, what payment are you modeling? An 8.4% gross yield can look acceptable without debt but produce weak or negative cash flow once financing and vacancy overlap.

I also wouldn’t automatically assume a larger generic maintenance reserve solves the issue. The age and condition of the roof, plumbing, heating, windows and exterior should shape that number.
 
Good points. I haven’t treated the 8.4% as spendable return, but I was still using estimated tax and insurance rather than address-specific figures. Financing is not finalized, so I’ll compare an all-cash case with several borrowing-cost scenarios instead of relying on one payment.

I’ll also separate routine maintenance from turnover costs and major components. That should show whether the deal survives one vacancy plus a repair, rather than merely working in an uninterrupted year.
 
That is the right stress test, but I’d add one more: lower achieved rent. “Expected” rent is doing a lot of work here. Verify it against genuinely comparable 3-bed homes, including condition and precise location. Then run vacancy, turnover work and a major repair in the same period. If the return becomes unattractive under that combination, no arbitrary net-yield target will rescue the purchase; the price or rent assumption has to change.
 
Back
Top