Seattle at $700,000: large condo or warehouse?

aisha.wood

Landlord
I’m comparing a 2,420 sq ft condo with a similarly priced warehouse in Seattle, both around $700,000. The condo appears easier to maintain, while the warehouse offers more control but could bring larger, irregular bills.

My model includes lease length, insurance, energy use, resale liquidity, tenant demand, vacancy and management workload. What tends to be missed after year one—especially association reserves or major building systems? This purchase is outside my home country, so I’m also wary of assuming the buying and ownership process will be familiar.
 
The cost difference is partly about who holds the risk. With the condo, inspect the association’s finances, reserves, planned work, insurance arrangements and history of special assessments. With the warehouse, you may carry the roof, structure, heating, security and other major systems directly. I’d price both over several years rather than compare only annual expenses; one warehouse repair could outweigh years of predictable condo charges.
 
Before comparing costs, what is the warehouse for: your own use, vacant investment, or already leased? That changes almost everything. A lease can shift some expenses, but vacancy exposes you to insurance, energy and maintenance without income. Tenant demand and resale also depend heavily on the building’s suitability for likely users.

I wouldn’t automatically call the condo safer, though. Weak shared-building reserves can turn “simple maintenance” into a large assessment you cannot control. Ask a Seattle-based property lawyer and insurer to examine the two ownership structures separately.
 
Back
Top