Seattle investor comparing small multifamily market data

slate.modern

Property investor
Established
I’m hoping to compare small multifamily opportunities beyond Seattle, but I do not yet have a consistent way to separate local transaction costs from genuine price differences. My main questions are about asking versus closed figures, property management assumptions and mortgage comparisons.

For someone who may be modelling a first purchase, where would you begin: Seattle-focused discussions, broader market-data threads or a dataset with clearly defined fields? I would rather build a modest comparison that holds up than combine figures that measure different things.
 
I’d start with the local board, then look for discussions that separate asking, pending and completed prices. A headline discount is not very useful unless the property type, date range and condition are comparable. For your own model, record acquisition costs, financing, renovation allowance and management assumptions separately rather than burying them in one return figure.
 
Are you modelling a first purchase, or mainly studying the market for now? Also, would you occupy one unit? Those answers could change which mortgage comparisons and legal questions deserve attention before the broader cross-market research.
 
The owner-occupancy question changes the order of research. If Ana might live in one unit, mortgage structure and first-purchase issues should be checked before spending too much time refining a cross-city return model.

The local board is still useful for Seattle terminology and transaction details, but I would not treat a closed price as portable between markets without unit mix, condition, date and included costs. Creating the comparison table is reversible; choosing a financing or ownership structure is not. I’d define the required fields first, use the local material to test them, and only then expand to datasets that explain each field consistently.
 
A practical reading order might be: market data first, mortgage comparisons second, then property management, renovation and legal checklists. Aarav’s owner-occupancy question should come before detailed modelling. I’d also keep advertised and completed prices in separate columns, with dates and property condition noted, rather than reducing everything to one percentage. Any legal or transaction-cost assumptions should be confirmed for the relevant jurisdiction before using them in a purchase decision.
 
Back
Top