The ZAR 1,738,000 total may be reasonable for 170 m², but the electrical allowance worries me. One contractor may have priced only testing while the other expects to replace defective wiring or upgrade the supply.
The proposed work includes new kitchen and bathroom areas, floors, decorating and some energy-efficiency improvements, without adding to the structure. Before comparing the two bids, should I ask for separate allowances for opening up, plumbing access, damp repairs, electrical remedial work and making good? I would also like to know what contingency is sensible before the warehouse has been fully inspected, and whether permit or approval timing should sit in the contractor’s programme.
The proposed work includes new kitchen and bathroom areas, floors, decorating and some energy-efficiency improvements, without adding to the structure. Before comparing the two bids, should I ask for separate allowances for opening up, plumbing access, damp repairs, electrical remedial work and making good? I would also like to know what contingency is sensible before the warehouse has been fully inspected, and whether permit or approval timing should sit in the contractor’s programme.