Seoul first-time buyer: is ₩40m enough cash after closing on a country home?

mapTheTable

Homeowner
I am torn between protecting most of the cash as a household reserve and earmarking more of it for early work on the property. This is a 4-bed country home around Seoul at approximately ₩1,173,000,000, and the current estimate leaves ₩40,020,000 available once the deposit and closing expenses are paid.

If the inspection finds only items that can be monitored, I could cap moving costs, buy essential furniture slowly and retain a larger emergency fund. If it identifies work that should not wait, I would need a dedicated repair amount before proceeding. I also have to account for the initial mortgage instalment and any early service or management charges. What monthly-cost and inspection figures would you use to decide whether this buffer is sufficient?
 
Before the purchase becomes binding, decide which expenses cannot safely be postponed. It is tempting to view the ₩40,020,000 as a ready-made renovation and furnishing fund, but household emergencies and urgent defects have consequences that delayed furniture does not.

I would first reserve the initial mortgage payment, moving costs, any insurance excess and confirmed service charges. Then separate an untouchable household buffer from money for inspection items requiring prompt attention. Basic furniture can be capped and added over time; the final split should change if the inspection reveals a repair that would worsen if deferred.
 
The missing figure is your normal monthly essential spending, including the new mortgage. Six months of expenses could consume a very different amount depending on the household. Also, is the country home standalone, or does it have recurring management or service charges? That changes what is genuinely available for repairs.
 
Agreed on getting the monthly figure, though I wouldn’t automatically insist on a fixed number of months if that forced the buyer to ignore obvious maintenance. I’d separate the money into two untouchable pots: household emergencies and urgent property work. Moving and basic furniture can then be capped, delayed or reduced.
 
Wait for the inspection before deciding whether ₩40m is comfortable. Ask for findings to be separated into urgent safety or weatherproofing work, items that could deteriorate if delayed, and cosmetic issues. A long inspection list can look frightening even when most items are optional. The expensive risk is confusing “recommended” with “must be done immediately.”
 
I’d make a simple first-year cash schedule rather than one broad buffer. List the expected closing date, moving costs, first mortgage payment, insurance payment or excess, any service charges, and only the inspection items needed in the first three months. Keep furniture to beds, seating and essential appliances initially. If that schedule leaves the emergency reserve looking thin, lower the purchase target before committing.
 
One further caveat: leave some unallocated cash rather than assigning every won to a category. Estimates move, and several small costs arriving together can be more disruptive than one planned repair. Once the inspection report and payment dates are known, you can compare the realistic low and high first-year totals with the ₩40,020,000 remainder.
 
Back
Top