Seoul student housing: is 8% below asking a defensible opening offer?

lookTheRiver

Homeowner
Established
I need to decide on an opening offer soon, but I do not want speed to turn an 8% discount into unnecessary risk. The Seoul student-housing property is listed at ₩1,746,000,000, has been available for 41 days and requires updating. Similar nearby properties support the general asking level, although completed transactions are too scarce for me to judge the likely closing price confidently.

I am considering about ₩1.606 billion, backed by financing evidence and some flexibility over completion. How can I present the number as a reasoned offer rather than criticism of the property? I also want to retain inspection protection and put limits around any appraisal shortfall and deposit exposure. The agent says another buyer may waive “it” but will not identify the term. Before changing the price or protections, I would like to know what the seller actually values and whether the property is occupied.
 
Eight percent below is not automatically insulting. Present it as a supported number, not a verdict on the seller’s property: 41 days available, uncertain completed-sale evidence, and an updating budget. Include financing proof and your completion flexibility, then give the offer a clear but reasonable response deadline. I would not waive inspection merely to make the price look stronger.
 
Before settling on the percentage, is the student housing occupied, and are you buying an operating income stream or mainly the building? Current occupancy, lease terms, running costs and required work could matter more than nearby residential asking prices. Ask the agent to identify the completed transactions supporting the list price. “Comparable asking prices” only show what other sellers hope to receive.
 
I’d separate three protections: physical inspection, financing, and the appraisal shortfall. Financing proof reassures the seller that you can proceed; it does not require you to promise that you will fund any valuation gap from cash. The deposit consequences also need to be written clearly. Contract practice is jurisdiction-specific, so have someone familiar with Seoul transactions explain exactly when it becomes non-refundable.
 
David’s point about the operating figures is important. If the updating is visible and reasonably measurable, choose whether to reflect it in the opening price or request a repair credit later. Doing both for the same work can make the offer look opportunistic. Unknown structural or building-system issues are different, which is why the inspection protection still matters.
 
One caveat: 41 days alone does not prove the seller is ready to discount by 8%. The listing might simply have a patient owner, and the similar asking prices may encourage them to wait. Decide your genuine ceiling before offering. Otherwise a predictable counteroffer can pull you upward without any new evidence.
 
Also ask the agent to clarify the pressure tactic. Is there an actual competing offer, and which condition would that buyer supposedly waive? They may not disclose another party’s terms, but you can still say your offer remains subject to specified protections. A response deadline should prevent your offer sitting open indefinitely, not be so abrupt that it looks theatrical.
 
On the appraisal issue, speak to the lender before writing the offer. Ask what happens to the financing if the valuation is below the agreed price and how much additional cash you could be required to provide. Then cap your exposure in the contract rather than discovering after acceptance that “clean financing” was interpreted differently by each side.
 
Seller motivation could shape the terms more effectively than another small price increase. Have the agent ask whether certainty, completion timing, or avoiding repair negotiations matters most. Your flexible date may be valuable—or irrelevant. You can offer the seller what they value while retaining inspection and financing protections.
 
I’m slightly less comfortable with the 8% opening because you say the available asking comparables are close. Without completed sales or a quantified updating budget, the number may look arbitrary. I would first put a cost range around the work and establish a walk-away price. If those support ₩1.606 billion, the rationale becomes much stronger.
 
Thanks all. I still have no clarification about what the other buyer would supposedly waive, so I’m not treating that statement as evidence. I’ll ask for completed-sale support and the property’s occupancy and operating information before submitting anything. My current plan is to keep inspection and financing protection, define the appraisal-gap limit, and use the flexible completion date as the main concession rather than raising the opening number.
 
Joana, make the deposit wording a priority too. The important questions are when it is paid, which unmet conditions permit its return, and what happens if financing or inspection is unsatisfactory. Those answers depend on the actual contract and local practice. Do not rely on an agent’s casual description of a deposit as “standard.”
 
A concise offer note could say the price reflects the available market evidence and anticipated updating, while financing proof and flexible completion demonstrate seriousness. Then list each condition plainly. Avoid a long argument about why the property is overpriced; that tends to make negotiations personal and gives the seller details to dispute instead of a clear proposal to consider.
 
Get the updating scope into usable form before deciding whether to seek credits. Cosmetic work can be priced into your offer, while inspection may uncover something different. Also ask whoever is helping with the valuation to explain why each completed sale is comparable—location, condition, size and operating profile—not merely provide a list of nearby transactions.
 
If the seller counters, compare the whole package rather than splitting the difference automatically. A higher price with full inspection, defined appraisal exposure and safe deposit terms may be preferable to a lower price with broad waivers. Conversely, if they insist that every meaningful protection disappear because an unnamed buyer will agree, walking away is a legitimate outcome.
 
Back
Top