Seoul villa purchase: is ₩60.72m enough cash to keep after closing?

lookTheRiver

Homeowner
Established
Keeping most of the cash untouched feels safe but may leave necessary work unfunded; allocating more to the villa makes me nervous about the first unexpected bill. I am looking at a 3-bed in Seoul for about ₩1,387,000,000 and expect to retain around ₩60,720,000 once the deposit and projected purchase costs are paid.

Before buying furniture, I need to allow for moving, inspection-led repairs and a proper emergency reserve. I also have not yet confirmed whether service charges, insurance and the first mortgage payment would fall due soon after completion.

What would you ring-fence first? My next step is to make a dated list of every payment expected during the first two months, but I would appreciate a sensible provisional split until those figures are confirmed.
 
I’d keep the largest portion completely untouched as the emergency fund. A provisional split could be ₩35m emergency savings, ₩12m repairs, ₩4m moving, ₩4m essential furniture and ₩5.72m as a general float. Delay decorative furniture until you have lived there and seen the first few bills.
 
One important missing fact: does that ₩60.72m also need to cover the first mortgage payment, insurance costs and any service charges due soon after completion? I would list every payment expected in the first two months before deciding how much is genuinely available for repairs.
 
I think that proposed split gives false precision. Whether ₩35m is a sufficient emergency fund depends on income stability and monthly household spending, not the purchase price. If the inspection already suggests work, I would treat furniture as optional and leave that money in the repair reserve until the scope is clearer.
 
Make three lists after the inspection: work needed before moving in, work that can wait six to twelve months, and cosmetic preferences. Water intrusion, electrical concerns or anything that could worsen should sit in the first list. Paint, upgraded storage and replacing usable furniture belong later.
 
Also ask for a clear picture of recurring building or service charges and when the next payment falls. Insurance excess should remain accessible rather than being counted as repair money. An inspection reduces uncertainty, but it does not guarantee that the first year will be surprise-free.
 
Fair point about false precision. I still find separate pots useful for preventing furniture spending from consuming the safety margin, but the numbers should change after the inspection and after calculating several months of essential outgoings. The key distinction is between allocated cash and cash that is actually safe to spend.
 
Before committing, I’d build a simple completion-to-month-three cash schedule: closing-related payments, move, first mortgage payment, expected service charges, insurance, urgent inspection items and normal living costs. Whatever remains after those entries is the real buffer. If that figure feels uncomfortable, buying slightly below ₩1,387,000,000 is more valuable than furnishing all three bedrooms immediately.
 
Back
Top