Serviced apartment or duplex in Milan: what costs appear after year one?

teaAndTimber

Property investor
I’m comparing a 195 m² serviced apartment with a similarly priced duplex in Milan. The serviced option appears easier to maintain, while the duplex seems to offer more control but potentially larger irregular bills.

I’m already allowing for insurance, energy use, shared-building reserves and resale liquidity. What I’m struggling to price is the second-year reality: management workload, unexpected contributions, vacancy risk and costs excluded from the service package. What would you put on a practical comparison checklist before choosing?
 
The service agreement and building finances matter more than the label. Establish exactly what the annual charge covers, what remains the owner’s responsibility, how charges can change and whether major works sit outside the package. For the duplex, find out which elements are private versus shared. A two-level layout does not necessarily give you more control if it remains part of a larger building.
 
What does “duplex” mean in this listing: one apartment arranged over two floors, or a property with two separate units? That changes the maintenance and rental analysis considerably. I’d also ask whether the serviced apartment must remain under a particular management arrangement. Without those details, it’s difficult to compare resale liquidity or tenant demand.
 
That exposes a weakness in my comparison. I’ve been treating the duplex layout as if it automatically meant greater independence, without separating the physical layout from the ownership and building arrangements. I also need the serviced apartment’s full management terms rather than relying on the headline fee. I’ll obtain both sets of documents and rebuild the comparison around actual responsibilities.
 
I’d challenge the assumption that the serviced apartment is necessarily simpler. It may reduce day-to-day coordination, but you are replacing direct maintenance decisions with oversight of a service provider and less control over timing or specifications. Conversely, a duplex can be manageable if the building has sound finances and the private areas are clearly defined. Convenience and predictability are related, but they are not the same thing.
 
Use the same worksheet for both properties: recent building charges, reserve position, planned works, insurance quote for the exact unit, actual energy information, heating and cooling arrangements, and every item excluded from management. Then add rental constraints, likely tenant profile, vacancy assumptions and selling costs. I would run a normal year and a bad year involving both vacancy and a substantial building contribution. Any Italian legal or tax implications should be confirmed locally once you have the documents.
 
For resale, ask local agents for genuinely comparable transactions and marketing periods rather than broad statements about which type sells better. At 195 m², the pool of tenants or buyers may differ from that for smaller apartments, while a serviced arrangement could either attract convenience-focused buyers or deter those who dislike continuing charges. I’d make transferability of the service agreement, exit conditions and the depth of the likely buyer pool decisive items.
 
Back
Top