Several small maintenance requests in 93 days — group them or investigate further?

SharpGrove

Landlord
Established
My tenant in a Munich apartment has made several minor maintenance requests over the past 93 days. Each request is plausible and the rent has always arrived on time, but separate call-out costs are accumulating.

I want to remain responsive without automatically booking a visit for every small item. Would you group non-urgent jobs into one appointment, or does this frequency suggest arranging a broader inspection, particularly for a possible underlying electrical wiring issue? I’m also weighing tenant retention and turnover costs rather than looking at each invoice in isolation.
 
Group genuinely minor, unrelated items if the tenant agrees to a reasonable appointment date, but I wouldn’t postpone anything that might indicate an electrical fault. One proper investigation can be cheaper than repeated call-outs that only treat symptoms. Keep a dated maintenance history so the contractor can see whether requests involve the same area or system.
 
Are the electrical reports connected in any way—same room, circuit or type of failure—or are you only wondering because there have been several requests? That missing detail changes the answer. I’d also ask the tenant to describe each problem clearly, with photos where useful, before deciding which trade is needed. For access, confirm the applicable Munich notice requirements rather than assuming an informal appointment is enough.
 
I’d be careful not to treat reliable payment as a reason to tolerate faults, or the number of requests as evidence of a difficult tenant. Those are separate issues. Market rent and possible vacancy time matter when considering the overall tenancy, but they shouldn’t determine whether a repair is necessary. The maintenance history is more useful: recurring symptoms point toward investigation; unrelated wear may simply be ownership cost.
 
That distinction helps. I don’t yet have enough information to say the electrical concerns share one cause, which is probably the real weakness in handling each request separately. I’ll consolidate the history first, ask for clearer descriptions, and arrange one broader electrical visit if the pattern supports it. Non-urgent unrelated items can then be grouped with the tenant rather than silently delayed.
 
That sounds balanced. Give the tenant written confirmation of what is urgent, what is being grouped and the proposed timing, subject to local access and notice rules. Record invoices and findings by system, not just by date. After the visit, compare the actual repair cost with likely repeat call-outs and turnover disruption. Deposit handling should remain separate; it shouldn’t become a running maintenance fund during the tenancy.
 
Back
Top