Short inspection window or no inspection on an older Sydney villa?

luca_figures

Homeowner
We have lost two offers on older Sydney villas to buyers offering fewer conditions. Our agent says shortening the inspection window could make us more competitive, but waiving inspection entirely feels reckless at A$706,800.

The visible condition is decent, although the age and a possible local supply issue concern us. Is a pre-offer inspection or a contingency limited to serious structural findings a sensible middle ground? Feel free to challenge the premise—what would you verify first?
 
I would shorten the window rather than waive it. Line up an inspector before offering, confirm when access can be provided, and ask your conveyancer how any condition should be worded. A structural-only condition may sound attractive, but expensive findings do not always fit neatly into “structural.” Also decide in advance what repair cost would make you walk away.
 
Before changing the offer terms, how much cash remains after the deposit, moving costs and first mortgage payment? If waiving inspection would leave you unable to handle an immediate repair while preserving an emergency fund, the offer is not really stronger—it is just transferring more risk to you. Furniture can wait; essential repairs and an insurance excess may not.
 
What does the agent mean by a “local supply issue”? A shortage of comparable villas, difficulty getting trades or materials, or something specific to services at the property? Those are different risks.

I would also establish whether there are any shared-property arrangements or recurring service charges. An inspection covers physical condition, but it will not answer every ownership-cost question.
 
I partly disagree that a pre-offer inspection is automatically the best compromise. If you keep missing out, you could pay for several inspections without securing a property. A very short post-offer window may control that cost better, provided access is genuinely available and your inspector can attend at short notice. Get that timing confirmed before submitting, not after acceptance.
 
Visible condition would carry little weight for me on an older place. Fresh-looking rooms do not tell you much about areas that are hard to see. I would want the inspector focused on signs of movement, moisture, roof and subfloor condition where accessible, drainage concerns and any obvious need for immediate repairs.

I would not narrow the condition until a conveyancer explains what that wording would actually let you do in Sydney.
 
Set a simple limit before the next offer: purchase cash needed, moving costs, first repayment, emergency reserve, and a separate allowance for inspection findings. Then compare three options—pre-offer inspection, short inspection period, or walking away if neither is allowed. I would not waive it merely because two other buyers did. Losing two offers is frustrating, but it does not show that taking uncapped risk is necessary.
 
Back
Top