Shorten the inspection window or waive it on an older Helsinki flat?

mapTheEmber

Property investor
We’ve lost two offers on Helsinki flats to buyers accepting fewer conditions. Our agent thinks shortening the inspection window would make us more competitive, but waiving it entirely feels reckless on a €828,000 property. It looks decent, although its age and possible maintenance needs worry us.

Has anyone found a workable middle ground—perhaps access for a pre-offer inspection or a narrowly written structural contingency? We also need enough cash left for moving, immediate repairs and the first mortgage payment, rather than putting everything into the purchase.
 
I’d shorten the window rather than remove the condition. Line up an inspector before bidding and ask whether the seller will allow a visit before offers close. If that is impossible, any narrow contingency needs careful wording for Finland; “structural” may not cover the issue you eventually find. Decide in advance what finding or repair cost would make you withdraw, rather than trying to decide under deadline pressure.
 
What do you know about the building’s age, planned maintenance and service charges? With a flat, an inspection of the interior may tell only part of the story. A tidy kitchen can coexist with substantial building-level work ahead. I’d want those costs understood before changing the offer conditions, especially if your remaining emergency fund would be thin.
 
I partly disagree with making the inspection condition the main battleground. A quick inspection can be useful, but it may not resolve the larger maintenance uncertainty Maya mentions. Compare the whole risk package: likely building work, service charges, insurance excess, moving costs and cash needed for immediate repairs.

I’d also postpone nonessential furniture. Keeping liquidity through the move and first mortgage payment may be more valuable than presenting a completely condition-free offer.
 
That’s fair, Adrian, but I still wouldn’t waive it merely because two other bids failed. I’d make a short list before the next offer: issues the inspector can assess, building information that must be clarified separately, maximum acceptable monthly charges, and the minimum emergency fund left afterward. Then offer a shorter inspection period only if access and an inspector are already arranged. If the seller will allow neither time nor access, that uncertainty is information too.
 
Back
Top