Shorten the inspection window or walk away from older Singapore studios?

gate.strong

Real estate agent
Established
Keeping a normal inspection period may mean losing a third Singapore studio, but dropping the condition altogether at S$1,829,000 feels like taking on too much risk. Neither option sits well with us.

These are older units that look presentable on a viewing, yet we still have questions about the building and an unresolved issue affecting possible rental use. Could a pre-offer inspection or a brief, tightly limited inspection condition be a workable middle course? We also need the service charges clarified before committing.

Our remaining cash must cover the move, essential repairs, the first mortgage payment and an emergency fund, so furniture can wait. I’m wary of treating all those costs as expendable just to submit a cleaner offer.
 
I’d separate the two concerns. A pre-offer inspection, if the seller allows access, can reduce the physical risk. The rental issue sounds like something to clarify independently before bidding; an inspector may not answer it.

What exactly has been flagged—permitted use, an existing tenancy, or restrictions affecting future rental? Without that detail, I wouldn’t waive anything just to match another buyer.
 
That distinction is helpful. The rental concern hasn’t been explained precisely enough for us to know which category it falls into, which itself now feels like a reason to slow down. Would you ask for that clarification and the relevant property information before arranging the inspection, or try to do both in parallel so the offer timetable stays short?
 
In Singapore I would run them in parallel, but keep the responsibilities separate: condition questions to the inspector, and ownership, use or rental questions to the conveyancing lawyer. A clean inspection should not be treated as resolving the regulatory point.

Ask the seller’s side what information is available, then have your lawyer explain what it means for this particular property and proposed use. Your agent can still present a short timetable without pretending the uncertainty has disappeared.
 
One caveat: a pre-offer inspection is not the same as eliminating risk. Access and time may be limited, and a studio can look fine while expensive issues sit elsewhere in the building.

Before weakening the condition, total the emergency fund you’d retain after moving costs, service charges, insurance excess and the first mortgage payment. Delay furniture if necessary. If an adverse finding or immediate repair would empty that reserve, the stronger offer is probably not worth making.
 
I’m not convinced a “structural only” contingency is the best compromise. Costly defects are not always structural, so that wording could give false comfort. A short inspection period with clearly defined options may be more useful, subject to local contract drafting.

I’d ask the lawyer whether the clause can address significant findings without becoming open-ended, book the inspector provisionally, and set a walk-away limit before seeing the report. That keeps urgency from changing your budget after the fact.
 
Back
Top