Shortlist now or wait? Reading Osaka’s relisted apartment stock

SageChalk

First-time buyer
Established
Twenty-five days is the figure making me hesitate. I’m watching mostly serviced apartments priced from ¥25,090,000 to ¥37,640,000, and I could either shortlist now or hold out for reductions.

Recurring charges may explain part of the difference in pace, but condition could matter just as much. Before acting, I want to know whether completed sales nearby support these asking prices and whether properties leaving the search are genuinely selling or simply being withdrawn and advertised again.
 
Service charges could be part of it, but I wouldn’t treat them as the main explanation yet. Condition, management arrangements and whether buyers can obtain suitable financing may separate otherwise similar units. Compare the full monthly outlay, not just price, then look for completed sales in the same building or very close by.
 
The 25-day figure raises another question: is that measured from the advertised date or from when you first recorded each property? A withdrawn unit returning under a fresh reference could look new despite having been available much longer.

I’d also split the sample by neighbourhood, building age, size and condition. If the apparently quick listings cluster in one small area or building type, that would be more useful than an Osaka-wide average.
 
I’d push back on interpreting quick disappearance as a quick sale. A listing can be withdrawn, replaced or simply stop appearing in your search. Until you have completed-sale evidence, classify it as “no longer advertised” rather than sold. That distinction may weaken the service-charge theory considerably.
 
A simple tracking sheet would help: building, neighbourhood, condition, asking price, recurring charges, first-seen date, price-cut date and final observed status. Add new listings weekly rather than studying only the original sample. You should then see whether stale stock is concentrated in particular buildings or merely reflects ambitious sellers.
 
One addition to that: record the size and timing of reductions rather than just the latest asking price. A seller cutting early may have different motivation from one holding firm for weeks. For any unit you seriously consider, ask the agent whether it remains available, whether the price changed, and why comparable advertisements disappeared.
 
Jonas’s point changes the order of work. First verify which vanished listings actually completed; then compare those with the units still advertised. I’d also settle financing before reading too much into apparent bargains, because serviced-apartment arrangements may affect what an individual buyer can obtain. If the completed comparables are thin, building-level costs and condition deserve more weight than the 25-day figure.
 
Back
Top