Singapore 2-bed at S$1.039m and S$7,516/month: what am I missing?

gate.strong

Real estate agent
Established
The headline calculation is straightforward: a Singapore two-bedroom at S$1,039,000 with expected rent of S$7,516 per month gives a gross yield of about 8.7%. The unresolved part is whether completed leases support that rent and what remains after every ownership and financing cost.

I have allowed for vacancy, management, routine maintenance and occasional major work. Property tax, building charges, acquisition costs and changes in finance costs still need to be tested, along with a larger maintenance reserve.

My decision rule would be simple. If completed leases do not support S$7,516, I would replace it with the lower evidenced rent and recalculate. If that lower-rent case still produces reliable positive net cash flow under less favourable financing, the property remains worth considering; if it only works at the headline rent, I would walk away.
 
First verify the S$7,516 rent rather than refining the expense assumptions around it. Is it supported by comparable completed leases, or is it an asking figure? Also calculate yield on the all-in acquisition cost, not just S$1,039,000. Property tax, purchase-related costs and recurring building charges can turn an attractive headline number into something fairly ordinary.
 
That’s fair. The 8.7% is simply annual expected rent divided by purchase price, so it does not reflect the full amount committed. I’ll separate one-off acquisition costs from annual operating costs and test the rent against completed leases rather than treating the expectation as settled. I’m also going to run a lower-rent case, not only extra vacancy.
 
I’d focus on tenant turnover rather than a generic vacancy percentage. A change of tenant can combine an empty period, leasing costs, cleaning, minor repairs and replacement of items that looked acceptable during an occupied year. Those costs arrive together. Ask whether S$7,516 assumes furnished, partly furnished or bare, because the maintenance reserve may need to match that offering.
 
I disagree slightly with treating property tax as the main unknown. It matters, but it should be possible to estimate once the ownership and letting circumstances are clear. Financing sensitivity is more dangerous if the deal only works with today’s loan assumptions. Run the cash flow with a higher borrowing cost, a rent reduction and one turnover year occurring together. If that produces an uncomfortable cash call, the gross yield is giving false reassurance.
 
Before deciding on a target net yield, build two returns: one before financing and one after financing. Include building charges, management, insurance, property tax, maintenance and turnover in the first; then add loan costs in the second. That shows whether the apartment itself is weak or the financing structure is fragile. I’d also request the building’s recent maintenance information and clarify which costs sit with the owner versus the tenant. The acceptable net yield then depends on how much margin remains under the stressed case, not on 8.7% alone.
 
Back
Top