Singapore apartments: is a 119-day marketing period an early shift?

gate.strong

Real estate agent
Established
I’ve been tracking a narrow group of Singapore apartments rather than relying on the citywide average. In February 2025, the asking-price range is S$734,300 to S$1,101,000, with a current marketing period of roughly 119 days.

Building reserves seem to matter more to buyers than the monthly headline. Before I treat this as an early change in this segment, what would you compare first: completed sales, new listings, withdrawals or the timing of price cuts? It could still be ordinary variation between individual properties.
 
I’d assume property-level variation until completed sales show otherwise. A 119-day figure can look weak if a few dated or overpriced apartments sit unsold, while better examples move quietly. How tightly have you drawn the neighbourhood boundaries, and are renovated and unrenovated units being grouped together?
 
I’m less willing to dismiss it as variation. If buyers are distinguishing sharply between building reserves, that may be an early sign of greater selectivity even before completed prices move.

New-listing volume and price-cut timing would be my first comparisons. Stable prices can hide a change if sellers are taking longer and reducing later in the marketing period.
 
Recent completed sales still need to anchor the analysis, but buyer financing could explain part of the delay too. I’d separate apartments that received an early reduction from those held at the initial price for most of the 119 days. That may reveal seller motivation more clearly than the overall average.
 
Condition should not be treated as a minor adjustment here. Two apartments at similar prices can present very different future costs once the building’s reserves and the unit’s own condition are considered. I’d make a simple table for each listing: neighbourhood, condition, reserves, first price, reduction date and final outcome. That should expose whether one factor is dominating.
 
One addition to my suggested table: record withdrawals separately rather than treating them as unsuccessful sales. A seller may withdraw because there is no urgency, then return later at a different price. If withdrawals are rising while completed sales remain steady, that points more toward a gap in seller expectations than a broad change in value.
 
Agreed on separating withdrawals, though seller motivation is hard to infer from the listing history alone. I’d track the February 2025 group forward and classify each apartment as sold, reduced, withdrawn or still available. Then compare those outcomes by condition and building reserves. If the slower results cluster around weaker buildings, vlee’s property-level explanation wins; if they spread across the group, the early-shift argument becomes stronger.
 
Back
Top