Singapore listings: the headline and the street-level picture — second opinion?

simple_river

Buyer
Established
Trying to sense-check my Singapore notes. The listings I saved run from S$1,426,000 to S$2,139,000, mostly detached homes, and the typical listing in the sample has been visible for 87 days. They are not moving together at all: some disappear quickly while others linger.

My working theory was that property tax helps explain the split, but that may be too simple. What should I compare first—recent completed sales, price-cut timing, condition, financing constraints or seller motivation?
 
I would not lead with property tax. Within that price bracket, neighbourhood boundaries and the exact condition of each home could produce very different buyer pools. Also check whether “detached” is being applied consistently across the listings. Compare completed sales nearby rather than Singapore-wide asking prices, and record whether a listing sold, was withdrawn or was merely reposted.
 
What does “visible for 87 days” mean in your notes: continuous time under one listing, or total exposure including relaunches? That distinction matters. A stale advert can disappear and return with new photos or a revised price without representing a completed sale.

I’d also add tenure and financing eligibility to the comparison, if available. Two properties at similar asking prices may not be practical substitutes for the same buyer.
 
There is a caveat to focusing too heavily on completed sales: they describe deals agreed earlier, while new-listing volume may show whether sellers now face more competition. I’d build a small table by tightly defined neighbourhood, with condition, first asking price, date and size of any cut, current status, and nearby completed sales. If the quick movers cluster around earlier price cuts or better condition, that is a stronger explanation than tax alone.
 
Back
Top