Small dilemma: rent increase versus tenant retention for a Delhi townhouse?

KindHarbor

Homeowner
Established
I'm trying to treat this as a business decision without being unreasonable. Asking rents for comparable Delhi townhouses appear close to ₹360,100, while my tenant currently pays about ₹292,400. They pay reliably and look after the home.

Would you make a modest adjustment to preserve the tenancy, or move nearer the advertised market figure? I'm weighing the gap against vacancy time, refurbishment and turnover costs. I also want to follow the applicable notice rules and handle any renewal and deposit arrangements properly.
 
I would not treat ₹360,100 as automatically achievable just because it is being asked. A reliable tenant with a good maintenance history has real value, and even a short vacancy plus preparation costs can consume much of the increase. Show them the comparables, propose a smaller rise, and leave room for discussion. First check the tenancy agreement and the Delhi rules that apply to this particular property before giving formal notice.
 
What period do those figures cover, and when does the current term end? Also, are the comparisons genuinely similar in size, condition, furnishing and location? Without that information, even a “modest” increase is difficult to judge. I would also separate necessary maintenance from the rent discussion; repairs already owed should not be presented as a benefit exchanged for accepting more rent.
 
One caveat to the retention argument: keeping a good tenant does not mean freezing the rent indefinitely. A documented, predictable adjustment may be easier for both sides than postponing the issue and later proposing a much larger jump. I would calculate the net gain after a realistic vacancy and refurbishment allowance, make a written proposal well before renewal, and clearly record what happens to the existing deposit. If the legal position or notice period is unclear, confirm it locally before sending anything formal.
 
Back
Top