Small forum idea: a closing-cost filter

RomyCole

First-time buyer
While browsing the New York board, I kept wanting a consistent way to filter threads by closing costs. It would make local property comparisons easier and cut down on repeated questions in valuations and market reports.

Would you make this a required field, a tag, or a search filter? My concern is keeping the posting process quick for casual members, especially on mobile.
 
I’d use an optional structured field that feeds a search filter. A free-form tag will quickly become inconsistent, while a required field could discourage people who do not yet know their likely costs. The field may also need room for regional differences rather than forcing every board into the same choices.
 
Optional sounds sensible, but a filter with very few completed entries may frustrate searchers more than it helps. I’d test it on new New York threads first, keep the mobile control compact, and avoid migrating old discussions until usage is clear. Moderators could then assess whether entries stay consistent without creating extra cleanup work.
 
Back
Top