Small multifamily versus serviced apartment in Delhi: the real ownership trade-offs

emery_leases

First-time buyer
Established
I’m comparing a 115 m² small multifamily property with a similarly priced serviced apartment in Delhi. On my current assumptions, the multifamily looks simpler to maintain, while the serviced apartment offers more control but could expose me to larger, irregular costs.

I’m modelling energy performance and use, insurance, resale liquidity, tenant demand, vacancy and management workload. What I’m struggling to price is the second-year reality: shared-building reserves, major repairs and costs that are not obvious from the initial figures.

Our adviser flagged the trade-off but stopped short of saying we should walk away from either option. What would you put on a practical pre-purchase checklist, and which assumptions deserve the most scepticism?
 
I would start with the serviced apartment’s recurring charges and who decides when exceptional building expenditure is required. A manageable monthly figure can be misleading if the shared reserves are weak or major work is approaching.

For the multifamily, separate maintenance into structure, individual-unit items and tenant turnover. Also compare vacancy by likely tenant type rather than applying one general occupancy assumption to both properties.
 
One missing fact changes most of this: does “small multifamily” mean ownership of the whole property, or one interest within a shared building? Also, would the serviced apartment be tied to an operator or managed directly by the owner? Without those answers, it is difficult to say which gives more control or carries the heavier workload.
 
Helena is right. I also wouldn’t combine energy performance and energy use in one line. The building may perform reasonably, but actual cost depends on occupancy, cooling patterns and whether common-area consumption is passed through to owners. Ask for separate figures for the private space and shared areas where available, then test them against both full occupancy and vacancy.
 
Tenant demand may be the bigger dividing line than maintenance. A serviced apartment and a multifamily property can appeal to different occupants and have different turnover patterns. Higher apparent demand is not automatically safer if stays are shorter or management is more intensive.

I’d model one prolonged vacancy and several short gaps separately. They create different cleaning, marketing, utility and management burdens.
 
I’d turn the comparison into three columns: predictable annual costs, irregular building-level costs, and costs caused by tenant turnover. Then note who controls each item.

For the serviced apartment, clarify shared reserves, common-area upkeep, insurance boundaries, furnishing or replacement expectations, and any limits on how it can be occupied or managed. For the multifamily, focus on structure, services used by more than one unit, repair coordination and the time needed to deal with separate tenants. The control column should expose whether the adviser’s description holds up.
 
I disagree with the starting assumption that the multifamily is necessarily simpler. Even at 115 m², multiple occupancies can mean duplicated fixtures, more move-in and move-out work, and competing repair requests. Conversely, a serviced apartment might be operationally simpler if responsibilities are clearly allocated—though that can come at the price of less owner control and exposure to collective decisions.
 
Before choosing, I’d ask for historical maintenance and energy records, details of current shared reserves, the basis of regular charges, insurance coverage and exclusions, and any known major works. For resale, compare who the realistic next buyer would be for each property. A specialised serviced arrangement may narrow that pool, but a small multifamily can also be difficult to assess if its income and repair history are unclear.
 
The useful decision rule may be: choose the property whose least controllable cost you can tolerate. With the serviced apartment, that may be shared-building expenditure or management restrictions. With the multifamily, it may be tenant turnover and several repairs arriving together.

I’d also ask the adviser exactly what triggered the warning. “Irregular costs” is too broad; a concern about insurance, weak reserves, occupancy terms or resale liquidity would each lead to a different conclusion.
 
Back
Top