Small rent increase or keep a reliable studio tenant in Dubai?

daily_porch

Property investor
Established
The difference looks modest, but replacing a dependable tenant could be expensive. Similar Dubai studios are being advertised around AED 33,370, while the current rent is about AED 31,180, and the tenant has a strong payment record and looks after the place.

I am not convinced the higher listings show what a new tenant would actually pay. Once vacancy, cleaning, marketing and possible refurbishment are included, would you leave the rent unchanged or seek a smaller increase? I would first check the permitted amount and notice requirements, as I do not want the renewal handled badly.
 
With the tenant paying AED 31,180 against listings near AED 33,370, I would not automatically pursue the full difference. The higher figure matters only if comparable studios are genuinely securing it, and one empty period could remove much of the gain.

I would verify the applicable increase and notice position, then consider a modest adjustment paired with a straightforward renewal. That narrows the gap without giving up the value of reliable payment.
 
How long has the tenant been there, and is any maintenance likely before another letting? Those details change the calculation. I’d compare the additional rent you could realistically collect—not just the advertised figure—with vacancy, marketing, cleaning, repairs and the time involved. Also look at whether the payment history has saved you chasing or administration.
 
I would not automatically discount the AED 33,370 figure just because the tenant is good. Keeping rent too low over several renewals can create a larger and more awkward gap later. The fair approach may be a permitted, properly notified increase now, provided the evidence reflects genuinely comparable studios rather than optimistic listings.
 
A simple decision table may help: current-rent renewal, modest increase, and re-letting. Put expected annual income beside likely vacancy time, preparation costs and maintenance. Then verify the current Dubai requirements before communicating a number.

When writing to the tenant, acknowledge the reliable payments and care of the studio, explain that you have reviewed comparable rents, and leave time for discussion. If they may leave, agree the inspection, final bills, keys and deposit handling clearly rather than letting those become last-minute disputes.
 
Camila’s maintenance question is important. If the studio would need even modest work between tenants, the apparent AED 2,190 annual gap narrows quickly. Lena is also right about avoiding a permanently widening gap, though I would use actual comparable outcomes if available rather than relying only on asking prices. My preference remains a modest compliant increase, presented early and respectfully, with retention as the main objective.
 
Back
Top