If hidden defects surface after work starts, the budget and programme could unravel quickly. I am reviewing a MYR 1,184,000 allowance for a 90 m² Kuala Lumpur apartment, covering a new kitchen, bathroom work, replacement finishes, electrical investigation and some efficiency improvements. I am not planning an extension, although I still need to understand whether any repairs could require structural input.
The total looks generous, but too much of the scope is still loosely defined. How much should remain outside the contract for contingency, and what investigations would help identify damp, concealed pipework and electrical defects before demolition? I also want contractors to explain building-management restrictions, work sequencing, exclusions and long-lead materials rather than concentrating on finish choices.
The total looks generous, but too much of the scope is still loosely defined. How much should remain outside the contract for contingency, and what investigations would help identify damp, concealed pipework and electrical defects before demolition? I also want contractors to explain building-management restrictions, work sequencing, exclusions and long-lead materials rather than concentrating on finish choices.