Student housing or country home in New York after 74 days of comparing?

miro.wade

Homeowner
I’m buying outside my home country and have spent 74 days comparing two similarly priced New York options: a 1,990 sq ft student-housing property and a country home. Student housing appears easier to maintain, while the country home offers more control but potentially larger, irregular bills.

My model covers insurance, energy use, vacancy risk, tenant demand, resale liquidity and management workload. I’m less clear about shared-building reserves and what owners actually discover after the first year. Which costs or responsibilities should I verify before choosing?
 
The key missing detail is whether the student property is a whole building or a unit with shared obligations. If it is shared, ask what your payments cover, how future major works are funded, and whether the reserves look adequate. Simpler day-to-day maintenance can still mean less control over large spending decisions.

For the country home, price the building systems individually rather than using one maintenance allowance, and compare likely vacancy periods and management demands. I’d also ask who the expected student tenants are and what happens to demand outside their main rental cycle. Resale could depend on a narrower buyer pool, whereas the country home may carry higher energy and insurance exposure. Get property-specific insurance indications for both before treating either estimate as settled.
 
Back
Top