Sydney: 130 m² studio or similarly priced serviced apartment?

mara.cane

First-time buyer
I’m comparing a 130 m² studio with a similarly priced serviced apartment in Sydney. The studio appears simpler to maintain, while the serviced apartment may offer more control but also larger irregular costs. I’m modelling service charges, insurance, energy use, vacancy and resale liquidity. What tends to be missed after the first year—particularly shared-building reserves, management workload or changes in tenant demand? A practical pre-purchase checklist would help.
 
I wouldn’t assume the studio is automatically simpler. At 130 m², energy use and internal upkeep could be material, while either property may still carry shared-building costs. Compare the recent pattern of building expenditure, reserve funding and insurance charges, then run both options with a vacancy period and an unexpected building contribution. Also clarify exactly which maintenance sits with the owner.
 
The phrase “more control” is where I’d pause. A serviced apartment can involve an operator or management arrangement that reduces the owner’s flexibility rather than increasing it. Ask who sets occupancy terms, handles maintenance and bears costs when the unit is empty. Then compare likely tenant demand and the size of each resale market—not just projected income. A cheaper operating year is little comfort if the eventual buyer pool is narrow.
 
Back
Top