Sydney apartment costs have jumped — how should I value them with 31 days to decide?

loft.balanced

First-time buyer
Established
I have 31 days to decide on a Sydney apartment. The purchase price works, but the building’s master insurance premium and shared-reserve contributions have risen sharply. The monthly association cost now consumes much of the apparent saving over renting.

Would you value the apartment on the assumption that these costs stay high, or regard the increase as a temporary adjustment? I’m checking insurance exclusions and loss-assessment cover, but I’m also concerned about maintenance intensity and whether rising building costs could hurt resale liquidity.
 
I would assume the higher amount continues and treat any later reduction as upside. Otherwise the purchase only works if something outside your control becomes cheaper.

The missing fact is why each component rose. Ask for a breakdown: was the reserve increase catching up after underfunding, or is it tied to expected maintenance? Insurance and reserves may have moved together, but they represent different risks.
 
Are you buying to live in it or to rent it out? Comparing the monthly figure only with your current rent can obscure energy use, maintenance inside the unit and the value of avoiding vacancy or management work. If it is an investment, tenant demand and achievable rent matter more than the saving against what you personally pay now.
 
I wouldn’t automatically read a larger reserve contribution as bad news. A building collecting too little can look cheaper until major work arrives. The concern is whether contributions are proportionate to a credible maintenance plan.

Where I disagree slightly with luca is treating the whole rise as permanent. Model insurance at the current premium, certainly, but separate that from reserve contributions that may change after planned work. Buyers may tolerate high costs better than unexplained or volatile ones, which is relevant to resale.
 
Amelia’s question changes the calculation, but with 31 days I’d still build three simple cases: current monthly costs, a further increase, and a partial reduction in reserve contributions. Then compare each with rent or realistic rental income, energy costs, vacancy risk and management workload as applicable.

Before committing, get clear answers from the building management and the relevant insurance contact about what drove the increases, what remains excluded, and how a loss assessment could affect you. If the apartment only makes sense in the optimistic case, the price probably doesn’t work as well as it first appeared.
 
Back
Top