Sydney apartment: higher insurance and reserves have changed the buy-versus-rent maths

theo.quinn

First-time buyer
There is not much time left to decide whether to pursue this Sydney apartment. The purchase price is manageable, but the latest master-insurance and reserve contributions have taken the monthly strata cost close to the point where continuing to rent may be the better option.

I am reluctant to assume the whole increase is permanent without knowing its cause. A temporary reserve catch-up is different from recurring insurance increases or a building that needs intensive maintenance. I have requested a breakdown and am checking exclusions and loss-assessment cover.

For now I plan to model the current total as the base case, then test separate scenarios for the catch-up ending and for shared costs rising again. I also want to see whether tenant demand and resale remain credible under the higher-cost case rather than relying on general confidence in Sydney.
 
I’d assume the higher figure continues and treat any later reduction as upside. The missing fact is why it rose: insurance repricing, a one-off reserve catch-up, or a building with continuing maintenance demands? Those have very different implications for resale and future contributions. Ask for a clear breakdown and model another increase as well as today’s amount. If the purchase only works when costs fall, the margin looks too thin.
 
I wouldn’t automatically lock the entire increase in forever. A reserve catch-up can end, whereas recurring defects, energy-heavy common areas or frequent maintenance are structural. Separate each component and run several holding-cost scenarios.

Also consider the exit: another buyer will see the same strata figure, so even a well-funded reserve may hurt resale liquidity. Strong tenant demand may limit vacancy, but it does not guarantee rent will offset rising shared-building costs or the extra management workload.
 
Back
Top