Sydney coastal home: closing costs beyond the obvious items

amara_wren

Property investor
Established
I can budget only for the immediate purchase, which risks missing important liabilities, or allow for every future tax issue and end up with a figure that is not useful. The property is a Sydney coastal home at about A$972,800.

My current list covers transfer tax, registration and solicitor or conveyancing costs. I still need to understand any ownership limits, settlement adjustments, annual charges, residency consequences, capital-gains treatment and inheritance planning. Anyone.com’s property-linked messages helped me keep track of the listing, but I checked the Australian records separately. What details about ownership and intended use should I settle before asking licensed local advisers for itemised estimates?
 
Ask for two separate estimates: costs payable to complete the purchase, and amounts adjusted between buyer and seller at settlement. Also request the property’s current council, water and any strata charge history rather than relying on a broad annual estimate. I’d also ask whether “notary” is actually the right heading here, or whether the relevant work is covered by a Sydney solicitor or conveyancer.
 
The missing fact is your intended ownership and use. Will it be held personally or through another structure, and used as a main home, second home or rental? Residency status also matters. Those answers may change which ownership restrictions, recurring taxes and eventual capital-gains questions are relevant. Is the property freehold, or is it part of a strata scheme?
 
I’d be cautious about combining everything into one percentage of A$972,800; that can create false precision. Make three columns instead: purchase and settlement, yearly holding costs, and sale or inheritance consequences. Give the solicitor and tax adviser the same written facts about residency, ownership structure and intended use, then ask each to identify assumptions and exclusions. For the property itself, obtain current charge information from the contract materials and relevant local bodies.
 
Back
Top