Sydney one-bed serviced apartments: is 94 days a market signal?

loft.balanced

First-time buyer
Established
I’ve been keeping notes in October 2024 because the Sydney-wide average says little about the two neighbourhoods we actually like. My narrow group of one-bedroom serviced apartments is listed between A$687,000 and A$1,031,000, with a current marketing period of roughly 94 days.

Lease length appears to matter more than the monthly headline figures. Is that still ordinary property-level variation, or an early shift in this segment? I’m trying to decide whether to pursue one now or wait for clearer evidence from sales.
 
I’d treat it as property-level variation until completed sales show otherwise. That price span is wide enough for condition, exact location and lease terms to distort the comparison. How tightly have you drawn the neighbourhood boundaries, and have you separated genuinely new listings from withdrawn properties that later returned? Ninety-four days means something different if the same stock keeps circulating.
 
That’s the weakness in my notes. The boundaries are narrow, but I haven’t consistently separated withdrawals and relistings, so the 94 days may overstate the continuity of some campaigns. I also recorded lease length without properly grouping properties by condition. I’ll rebuild the list around completed sales and comparable lease terms before reading it as a wider move.
 
I wouldn’t dismiss the timing completely. If several genuinely comparable apartments are sitting and price cuts are arriving earlier, that can be an initial sign before completed sales catch up. But the number of new listings matters: a few slow properties in a thin market are not the same as rising stock across both neighbourhoods.
 
Buyer financing could also explain part of the gap. Serviced-apartment arrangements and lease details may affect what an individual buyer can borrow, depending on the lender and the property. Before bidding, take the exact apartment and lease structure to a broker or lender rather than assuming every one-bedroom property in your range has the same pool of buyers.
 
I’d make four columns for each address: first-listing date, any withdrawal or price-cut date, completed-sale result, and remaining lease term. Then add condition and keep the two neighbourhoods separate. After that, ask the selling agent why the owner is moving and whether the campaign has had offers. You won’t always get a useful answer, but seller motivation can distinguish an ambitious listing from a genuinely negotiable one.
 
One caution on relying mainly on completed sales: they are cleaner evidence, but they describe negotiations that began earlier. Keep them alongside current new-listing volume and withdrawals rather than replacing the live data. If the same pattern appears across sales, cuts and unsold stock, the case for a segment change becomes stronger; if only the 94-day figure looks weak, it is probably a mix problem.
 
Back
Top