Tenant screening without turning good applicants away near Mumbai

mapsAndBeam

Property investor
I’m comparing applicants for a 2-bed country home in Mumbai, but income, references and credit history each favour a different person. I want a written, consistent process that is fair and lawful rather than choosing on instinct. Which criteria are most useful for predicting payment reliability and tenant retention? I’m also wondering whether strict income multiples or a spotless credit history create false confidence, especially when vacancy time and turnover cost matter. Even a short answer would help if you include what changed your view.
 
I’d give more weight to verified ability to cover the rent and a consistent payment history than to a single credit result. References are useful only when you ask specific questions: rent paid on time, notice handled properly, and any unresolved damage or maintenance issues. Is the proposed rent firmly supported by the local market? An overstretched asking rent can make otherwise sound applicants look unaffordable.
 
I partly disagree on previous-landlord references: they can be incomplete or overly positive when someone simply wants a tenancy ended. I’d use the same checklist for everyone, record how each item is assessed, and allow applicants to explain conflicting information. Compare verified income, recurring obligations, payment evidence and expected length of stay, then decide how much uncertainty you can accept against another vacancy. Before finalising, confirm the current local requirements for notice, deposit handling and permissible screening questions rather than importing rules from another jurisdiction.
 
Back
Top