Tenant screening without turning good applicants away — second opinion

PlainStory

Property investor
Established
I’m reviewing applicants for a 2-bed coastal home in Delhi. Income, references and credit history each favour a different person, so instinct is not giving me a defensible answer.

I want one consistent process that is fair and lawful. Which objective criteria are most useful for predicting payment reliability and tenant retention? Conversely, which common rules mainly create false confidence? Completed examples near Delhi would be particularly helpful. I’m also weighing vacancy time and turnover cost rather than simply choosing the strongest-looking file.
 
Start with a written scorecard and apply it unchanged to every applicant. I would give the clearest weight to verified ability to meet the rent, documented payment history, explainable gaps, references that answer specific questions, and evidence of how the previous home was maintained. Employer prestige or a superficially perfect credit file can create confidence without saying much about the tenancy itself.

Also record why any conflicting evidence was accepted or rejected.
 
How close is the asking rent to the local market, and how long can the home reasonably remain vacant? If the rent is ambitious, you may be screening out otherwise reliable applicants for a problem created by the price.

I’d also separate selection from tenancy terms. Deposit handling, maintenance responsibilities and Delhi notice rules can affect the eventual risk, but they should not become informal tie-breakers between applicants.
 
That distinction matters. I’d use two passes: first, the same basic eligibility requirements for everyone; second, a documented comparison of applicants who pass. Where income, credit and references conflict, ask for the same type of clarification from each person rather than giving one applicant extra opportunities.

Before deciding, compare the likely cost of another vacant period with the realistic downside indicated by the actual evidence—not a vague feeling that one application looks cleaner.
 
I would not dismiss credit history too quickly. It can still support payment reliability, provided you consider whether the information is current, relevant and consistent with the rest of the application. The mistake is treating it as decisive on its own.

Practical next step: write the criteria and weighting before revisiting the names, verify information with appropriate consent, note discrepancies and responses, then document the final reason. Check the current Delhi requirements for screening, notices and deposit handling with a locally qualified adviser; a larger deposit should not be used to sidestep an unresolved concern.
 
Back
Top