Tenant screening without turning good applicants away

EsmeAsh

Landlord
Established
I'm reviewing applicants for a 3-bed serviced apartment in Los Angeles. Income, references and credit history are pointing toward different people, so I need a consistent process that is fair and lawful rather than choosing whichever application simply looks strongest overall.

Which objective criteria best indicate payment reliability and tenant retention? Which popular screening rules mostly create false confidence? I also want to account for vacancy time, turnover cost, maintenance history, local notice rules and deposit handling.

For anyone who made the opposite property decision at roughly $885,000, what tipped it?
 
Use the same written criteria and sequence for every complete application. I would give more weight to verifiable ability to pay, payment reliability and references answering the same factual questions than to one headline credit number. Decide in advance how conflicting signals will be resolved, and document the reason.

Credit can still matter, but it should not silently become the whole decision. Before sending any decision or handling a deposit, confirm the current Los Angeles requirements that apply to this tenancy.
 
I partly disagree with combining tenant retention and the $885,000 ownership decision. A promising applicant cannot repair weak property economics, and a strict rubric can still be unfair if its criteria are poor proxies.

What are the advertised market rent and proposed tenancy length? Those missing facts affect whether vacancy and turnover deserve heavy weight. I would use clear pass/fail minimums, then limited tie-breakers such as documented payment consistency and reference quality. Separately, compare realistic rent with vacancy time, turnover and known maintenance needs before judging the purchase decision.
 
Back
Top