If this estimate is wrong, I could commit most of the money before discovering that essential work has been left out. The working budget is $171,400 for renovating a 1,290 sq ft, five-bedroom country home in Austin, without adding any floor area.
I have allowed for new kitchen and bathroom work, floors, decorating, an electrical review and some energy-efficiency improvements. Before deciding how much contingency to hold, I want to understand what is behind the walls and what each contractor has omitted. Which inspections would you commission first, and how detailed should the electrical scope be? I would also ask bidders to identify long-lead materials and explain how those delivery dates affect the order of work.
I have allowed for new kitchen and bathroom work, floors, decorating, an electrical review and some energy-efficiency improvements. Before deciding how much contingency to hold, I want to understand what is behind the walls and what each contractor has omitted. Which inspections would you commission first, and how detailed should the electrical scope be? I would also ask bidders to identify long-lead materials and explain how those delivery dates affect the order of work.