THB 48.06m Bangkok house: building a realistic closing-cost checklist

careful_stone

First-time buyer
I’m considering a detached home in Bangkok priced at THB 48,060,000 and trying to build a complete cost checklist before proceeding. I have transfer tax, registration and possible legal/notary costs on it, but the ownership structure and recurring charges are much less clear.

What should I ask a licensed Thai professional to itemise? I’m particularly concerned about buyer-versus-seller costs, ownership restrictions, residency implications, annual property charges, treatment on a future sale and inheritance planning. I’m looking for questions and budgeting categories rather than personal legal or tax advice.
 
Ask for two schedules: everything payable before or on completion, and everything recurring afterward. For each line, request the amount or calculation method, who normally pays it, who pays it under your proposed contract, the due date and whether it can change before registration. Also ask whether a notary is actually needed for each proposed step rather than accepting one general allowance.
 
The missing fact is your proposed ownership route. Because this is a detached home, have the adviser explain the land and building positions separately, along with how your nationality and residency affect the available options. Is the THB 48,060,000 buying both interests from the same party? Without that, even a detailed estimate could be based on the wrong structure.
 
I would go a step further: don’t compare ownership structures mainly by their initial fees. A route that looks cheaper at registration may create ongoing administration or an awkward inheritance outcome. Get the legal suitability explained first, then price only the viable options.

I’d also avoid assuming “capital gains” is one simple future line item. Ask what charges could apply on a later sale, how the seller’s position is determined and whether residency at that future date could change the analysis.
 
Recurring charges still belong in the affordability calculation, even if they are not technically closing costs. Ask the seller for an itemised history of property-specific charges and confirm whether anything is unpaid or prorated at completion. If the house is within a managed development, ask separately about common-area fees, one-off assessments and when the next payment falls due. Keep those separate from government charges so they don’t get lost in one annual estimate.
 
Joana’s question about land and building is the one I’d resolve first. Then give the local lawyer the exact THB 48,060,000 price and request a written table showing buyer costs, seller costs that the contract might shift to you, recurring obligations and assumptions that could alter each figure. I’d request a separate inheritance note too: what happens to each part of the proposed ownership arrangement, rather than treating the property as one undivided asset.
 
Back
Top