The £636 gap changed my view on raising rent for a reliable Birmingham tenant

ember.full

Homeowner
Established
I have a detached home in Birmingham currently rented at about £4,685, while comparable asking rents appear to be around £5,321. The tenant pays reliably and looks after the property, so I do not want to lose them chasing the full difference.

Would you propose a modest increase and explain the comparison, or leave the rent alone until a later review? I’m trying to weigh retention against vacancy, refurbishment and reletting costs while following the correct local notice process.
 
I would not treat £5,321 as automatically achievable just because it is the asking level. Compare genuinely similar detached homes and account for how long they remain available. Then put a moderate proposal to the tenant, leaving some discount for reliability and good upkeep. A short vacancy plus preparation costs could erase much of the extra rent. Before serving anything formal, confirm which notice route and timing apply to the tenancy.
 
How old is the current rent, and is there a rent-review clause in the agreement? Those facts matter before deciding what “modest” means. I’d also look at the maintenance history: if repairs are outstanding, deal with them before opening the rent conversation. If an increase is agreed, record it clearly and make sure the deposit records remain accurate rather than informally changing figures elsewhere.
 
Back
Top