The 91-day listing that changed my view on pricing a Tokyo home

sailsAndQuill

Buyer
Established
Two agents have valued my Tokyo detached home quite differently. The higher proposal is tempting, but I have seen similar homes launch ambitiously, sit for roughly 91 days, then cut. I would rather judge recent completed sales than promises made during a pitch. Does starting high preserve negotiating room, or waste the strongest first-week interest? A real deadline will matter for me, so I am considering pushing back on the higher valuation.
 
I would ask both agents to show which completed sales support their figures and to draw the neighbourhood boundaries they used. In Tokyo, a superficially similar detached home may not be a fair comparison once condition and exact location differ. Also ask the higher-valuing agent what price-cut timing they recommend if early interest is weak. Their answer may reveal whether the opening figure is a strategy or merely a pitch.
 
I would not assume 91 days followed by a reduction automatically proves the original price was wrong. New-listing volume, withdrawn stock and whether likely buyers could obtain financing all affect time on market. Starting closer to the expected sale price can create urgency, but it can also leave little room if the comparison set is thin. The important distinction is between homes that actually sold after cutting and homes that simply disappeared from listings.
 
Give both agents the same scenario: your intended deadline, property condition and minimum acceptable outcome. Ask each for a launch price, the evidence behind it, and a written schedule for reassessing after the first wave of viewings. If the higher agent cannot explain what would trigger a reduction—and when—I would favour the more defensible valuation. Seller motivation should shape the plan; a speculative seller can wait, while a deadline makes an extended test of the market much riskier.
 
Back
Top