The A$9,120 repair estimate is clear, but which concession works?

loft.balanced

First-time buyer
Established
Our response deadline is approaching, so I need to choose between speed and control over the work. The inspection of the 160 m² Sydney villa identified manageable repairs estimated at about A$9,120. The seller is willing to organise them, while my preference is to hire contractors after settlement and be responsible for the result.

If the lender accepts it, would a settlement credit leave us in a better practical position than reducing the purchase price? I plan to verify how either choice affects the loan and any appraisal gap before responding. I also want to keep personal preference separate from whatever the contract and local rules actually permit.
 
My main concerns are the response deadline and preserving whatever inspection protection the contract actually gives me. I also don’t want to agree on a credit and then discover the lender will not recognise it. What financing proof or written confirmation would people seek before accepting either option?
 
If contractor control matters, I would prefer a credit over seller-managed repairs—but only after the lender confirms how it must be documented. A price reduction may sound cleaner, yet it does not necessarily leave you with A$9,120 available to do the work after settlement.

Are the estimates actual contractor quotes, or only figures from the inspection report? That affects how confidently I’d negotiate the amount.
 
Also compare the agreed price with relevant completed sales before choosing. If there is already a possible appraisal gap, a credit could complicate the financing discussion, while a reduction may help the valuation position more than your repair budget.

For the contract side, have your Australian solicitor or conveyancer explain the deadline, inspection wording and any deposit exposure before you respond. Those rights depend on the actual contract; willingness to accept unfinished work is the personal-risk part.
 
I wouldn’t automatically favour the credit. If the A$9,120 is still uncertain, the seller may resist giving the full amount, and a lender-approved credit is useful only if it can actually be applied in a way that helps at closing. A price reduction is simpler, even if it leaves less cash for repairs.

A practical proposal is to attach the available estimates, decline seller-controlled work, and offer two documented alternatives subject to lender and contract approval. The seller’s motivation may determine which one gets accepted.
 
Back
Top