The €85,560 estimate changed how I see this Paris apartment

celine.chase

Homeowner
I have checked the recent meeting minutes, insurance position, reserve level and maintenance plan. What remains unclear is whether the figure of €85,560 refers to the whole project, this apartment’s share or an early estimate with no defined scope.

The apartment is 120 m² and otherwise appeals to me, but the building may face substantial exterior works while its shared reserve is limited. I am now looking beyond the possible assessment itself: repeated deferrals, disagreement among owners, collection risk and the effect of prolonged works could all matter for resale liquidity and day-to-day management.

What evidence would separate routine planning from a building with a persistent maintenance problem? I am also open to the view that a townhouse offers a better trade-off, although I would want to compare its direct maintenance burden with the apartment’s shared costs rather than assume it is automatically safer.
 
First establish what the €85,560 represents: the whole project, this apartment’s likely share, or simply somebody’s rough estimate. Those are completely different risks. I’d read several years of minutes for repeated postponements, ask what work is actually included, and compare the proposed timing with the available reserve. A thin reserve worries me more when essential work has already been deferred.
 
Is “exterior work” façade repair, windows, roofing, insulation, or a mixture? The scope matters for both future energy use and whether insurance might respond to any part of the underlying problem. I’d also want to know whether other owners are challenging the work or merely debating price and timing; collection problems could increase delay and management workload.
 
I wouldn’t automatically prefer a townhouse. It removes the shared reserve and voting issue, but it concentrates every repair bill on one owner. The apartment may still be the lower-risk choice if the building has a credible plan and the purchase price reflects this likely contribution. My bigger concern would be resale liquidity if buyers and lenders see unresolved works in the minutes.
 
Before deciding, make a simple best/base/worst-case calculation using your possible share, not the headline figure. Ask for written clarification of the scope, current reserve, expected schedule and how the apartment’s contribution would be allocated. Then compare the apartment price plus the worst plausible contribution with alternatives. If the seller will not resolve the ambiguity before you commit, price that uncertainty heavily or walk away.
 
Back
Top