The lowest Manila agent fee turned out to be the hardest quote to price

GoodAnchor

Mortgage adviser
Established
Each agent says their proposal offers the best route to a sale, but I’m hesitant to compare the percentages when the work behind them differs so much. For my coastal home in Manila, one quote bundles photos, enquiry handling and offers; another breaks many of those tasks into extra charges.

What would you ask each agent to establish the real cost and service level? I’m thinking about response times, how buyers are screened, who handles a troubled offer, and whether the person presenting the proposal remains responsible after acceptance. I also want any conflicts or referral arrangements disclosed.

It would help to know which steps are legally required in the Philippines, which are simply the agent’s normal procedure, and which are optional protections for the seller.
 
To clarify, I’m not automatically choosing the lowest fee or expecting every extra to be included. I mainly want to avoid comparing a broad service percentage with a narrower listing fee as though they buy the same thing. I’m thinking of asking each agent to price the same hypothetical journey from photography through an accepted offer that later encounters a problem.
 
Ask for the fee basis first: what amount is the percentage applied to, when does it become payable, and which expenses remain due if the sale does not complete? Then request one named contact for each stage. A long service list means less if the person pitching disappears and an unknown colleague handles enquiries and offers.
 
I would put less weight on photography than you seem to be doing. It is visible and easy to price, but weak buyer qualification can waste far more time. Ask what information they seek before arranging a viewing, how they present competing or conditional offers, and how quickly you will hear about buyer concerns. Don’t assume every requested document or procedure is legally mandatory; have a Philippine property lawyer identify that separately.
 
A comparison table should help. Give every proposal the same rows: fee calculation, photography deliverables, listing-related extras, response-time expectations, named contact, buyer qualification, negotiation, post-agreement coordination, charges after a failed deal, and termination terms. Leave blanks rather than interpreting vague wording yourself, then send the table back to each agent for confirmation.
 
Recent results can also mislead if you only ask how many properties sold. For this particular home, ask which completed sales they consider genuinely comparable and what they personally handled in those transactions. I’d also ask how conflicts are disclosed if the same agent or firm has a relationship with an interested buyer. The answer matters more than a polished claim that they can represent everyone smoothly.
 
I disagree slightly with reducing everything to the same hypothetical sale. The more expensive proposal may include judgment and availability that cannot be itemised neatly, while the cheaper one may let you buy only what you need. After normalising the costs, test communication: send each the same short set of questions and note whether the reply is prompt, specific and actually addresses them. Then have any fee trigger, authority, conflict or completion wording checked locally before signing.
 
Back
Top