Tokyo apartment: higher insurance and reserves erase the rent saving?

WildWindow

Property investor
The current monthly association cost now consumes much of the saving I expected from buying rather than renting. The Tokyo apartment’s purchase price remains manageable, but building insurance and reserve payments have both increased.

It is tempting to assume at least part of the rise will unwind, though a long period of higher insurance or heavier maintenance would change the decision. How would you separate a temporary reserve catch-up from an ongoing cost problem? I am checking coverage exclusions and whether owners can face additional contributions after a loss. I also need to compare the answer for personal occupation against letting, where tenant demand, vacancy and management effort become part of the calculation.
 
I would underwrite it using today’s higher monthly figure and treat any reduction as upside. Separate the insurance increase from the reserve increase: one may reflect ongoing exposure, while the other could be tied to planned maintenance or a reserve shortfall. I’d also test whether the purchase still works after another increase or an unplanned owner contribution.
 
Is this for your own occupation or to let? That changes the comparison. For a rental, tenant demand, vacancy and management effort matter alongside the association payment. I’d also want the building’s age, maintenance plans, recent association budgets and meeting records. Without those, it is difficult to tell whether the reserve rise is temporary catch-up or the start of heavier spending.
 
Theo’s distinction is important. I wouldn’t automatically assume the reserve contribution stays elevated forever if the records show finite works with a credible funding schedule. But I still wouldn’t put a future reduction into the base valuation. Buyers usually react to the monthly amount they can see, so it can affect resale liquidity even when the underlying maintenance decision is sensible.
 
Run three versions: current costs, a further increase, and current costs plus a vacancy period if you may let it. Then compare those with rent, including energy use and the time involved in managing the apartment.

On insurance, don’t rely on the label “loss-assessment cover” alone; confirm with the insurer or a Japan-based adviser what the actual policy covers, its exclusions and deductibles, and which uninsured building costs could be passed to owners. A cheap unit with unclear shared exposure is not necessarily cheap.
 
Back
Top