Tokyo April 2025 inventory shift and school-catchment searches

SimpleLane

First-time buyer
Established
I’m tracking Tokyo because we need to decide whether to move quickly on a well-presented home within our preferred school catchment or wait for more choice. In April 2025, good retail listings appear to be moving in roughly 35 days, while homes needing work remain available longer. I’m also seeing an apparent gap of about 3.6% between asking prices and completed deals.

Does this indicate more selective buyers, or is it seasonal noise? I’d particularly value completed-sale comparisons and observations tied to specific neighbourhoods rather than Tokyo-wide headlines.
 
One month is too little to separate a market change from seasonality. There is also a timing mismatch: April listings can be compared with deals agreed earlier and recorded as completed later. How many properties produced the 35-day figure and the 3.6% gap, and are they genuinely comparable in size, age, condition and distance from a station?
 
The school boundary may matter more than the citywide pattern. Are you measuring only homes inside one catchment, or including nearby streets that feed into different schools? A narrow search can make a handful of attractive listings look like a broad inventory shift. I’d split the figures by catchment first, then by condition.
 
I wouldn’t dismiss the 35 days merely because it comes from April. The contrast between ready-to-occupy homes and properties needing work is at least a plausible sign of selectivity. What it does not establish is whether prices are weakening. A 3.6% asking-to-sale difference could reflect ambitious initial asking prices rather than buyers gaining leverage.
 
Also clarify which asking price you use. Comparing the completed price with the original asking price gives a different result from comparing it with the final reduced price. Days on market can be similarly slippery if a property is withdrawn and relisted. Without consistent treatment, both figures may overstate the change.
 
Transaction volume would help resolve this. If well-presented homes sold in 35 days but very few deals completed, the figure could be driven by a small group of unusually desirable properties. I’d keep a simple table for several months: first listing date, original and final ask, completion price, condition, catchment, and any relisting. Preserve each monthly version so later revisions remain visible.
 
Policy timing is another possible complication, though I would not assign it a cause without dates and a longer series. Financing decisions, household schedules and listing behaviour can all bunch activity into particular periods. For your actual purchase, compare only homes you would realistically choose; a Tokyo-wide average will not tell you whether waiting improves options inside one school area.
 
That distinction from lcastillo is probably the key one. Amelia’s 3.6% may be meaningful, but only after recalculating every deal on the same basis. I’d treat April 2025 as an initial observation, not a trend, and revisit it after more completed sales appear. Meanwhile, a suitable catchment property moving near 35 days argues for having due diligence and financing preparations ready, not necessarily bidding at the asking price.
 
Back
Top