Tokyo condo at ¥45,900,000: closing and ongoing costs to ask about

WorthyRoom

Homeowner
I’m building a cost checklist for a Tokyo condo priced around ¥45,900,000. I have transfer tax, registration fees and legal/notary costs on the first draft, but I’m less clear about ownership restrictions and annual property charges.

I also want to ask about residency rules, capital-gains treatment if I later sell, and inheritance planning. Which items are commonly absent from an initial estimate, and what should I ask a licensed local professional to put in writing? I’m buying outside my home country and don’t want to assume the process works the same way.
 
Ask for two separate totals: money required to complete the purchase and costs that continue after completion. Annual property charges can disappear inside a headline “closing cost” discussion because they are not all payable on the same date. I’d also request an itemised explanation of who calculates each transfer, registration and legal charge rather than accepting one combined figure.
 
The missing fact is how you plan to own and use it. Will you be resident in Japan, hold it personally, and keep it long term? Those answers could change which questions matter most, particularly around residency, a future sale and inheritance. Give the adviser your expected ownership timeline rather than asking only for today’s purchase total.
 
Include every possible future tax in the completion total, and the cash requirement becomes misleading. Leave those issues off the checklist entirely, and you could miss an important consequence of ownership. Neither approach is very comfortable.

The fact that changes the answer is your expected holding period and ownership situation. If you need to know what cash is required now, separate purchase and registration charges from annual condo and property costs. If you are evaluating a later sale or inheritance, keep a third section for those scenarios and ask which estimates depend on your residency and circumstances at that future date.
 
Also clarify the terminology. Instead of assuming “notary costs” means the same thing it does in your home country, ask the local professional what service is actually required and where it appears in the quote.

For the meeting, send the ¥45,900,000 price in advance and request written answers covering registration, transfer tax, any ownership restrictions, recurring condo and property charges, residency assumptions, and the sale/inheritance scenarios. That should expose both omissions and duplicated line items.
 
Back
Top